"We are not the platonic sort, Jane..."

viernes, 7 de enero de 2011

Jane Eyre: Part 3

Little by little, Jane got used to the idea of leaving Thornfield and Mr. Rochester. One day, while she was walking around the gardens, Rochester appeared and walked with her. He told her that he had found a new place to work for her after he married. It was in Ireland. Jane was astonished:  Ireland was too far from Thornfield and, specially, too far from Edward.
Suddenly, Jane started to cry and she got furious:
"I grieve to leave Thornfield: I love Thornfield:- I love it, because I have lived in it a full and delightful life,--momentarily at least. I have not been trampled on. I have not been petrified. I have not been buried with inferior minds, and excluded from every glimpse of communion with what is bright and energetic and high. I have talked, face to face, with what I reverence, with what I delight in,--with an original, a vigorous, an expanded mind. I have known you, Mr. Rochester; and it strikes me with terror and anguish to feel I absolutely must be torn from you for ever. I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of death."
"Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton?--a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!--I have as much soul as you,--and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh;--it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal,--as we are!"
She couldn’t put up the fact that the wife-to-be of him was Ms.Ingram. But the idea that Rochester had wasn’t marrying Blanche. But when Rochester  informed her that he wasn’t going to marry Ms. Ingram, she look at him confused. Rochester approached to Jane and he asked for her hand in marriage.
 At first, Jane thought that Rochester was pulling her leg, she didn’t believe him. But Rochester was talking so seriously, and soon Jane started to believed what he was saying. Jane accepted the proposal without any doubt.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Would Jane be happy in Ireland?
-Could Jane live without Mr.Rochester?
-Why Mr.Rochester tell Jane that he wants to marry her?
-Do you think they will get married?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario